Facials are generally very relaxing and soothing. Your esthetician will explain to you what the treatment steps will be. Be sure to communicate with your esthetician during the facial if any product burns, itches, or if you need anything or have any questions. Otherwise, just lie back and enjoy the experience. A basic facial generally includes the following steps:
- Makeup removal and cleansing of the skin.
- Skin analysis.
- Exfoliation by mechanical, enzymatic or chemical means.
- Massage of the face and neck, to aid in relaxation and stimulate blood and oxygen flow to the skin.
- Extraction of blackheads and other impurities, either manually (using gloved hands and cotton or tissue around the fingers with gentle pressure to remove the impacted pore) or using a metal extraction implement designed to clear blocked pores. This can also include the use of a lancet (a small, sharp blade to lift the dead cells of the skin prior to extraction).
- Application of products targeted to your skin type (dry, oily, mixed, sensitive, or mature).